Monday, October 31, 2011

meet jar.

In the spirit of my old PTA position, I’m going to be trying out a new format for this blog... here goes! :P

OLD Business:

Having had a craft blog for awhile now and responding to personal comments via emails (as much as I can!! I’m certainly not winning a prizes for that any day soon! ) I'd like to keep my comment Reponses on my comments stream. What's this mean you ask... if you don't receive an email response back to your comment that you've left... I'm NOT ignoring you, but most likely responded right back here! :)

I will also be filling up my pages with complete life sucking information just for your bennifit (and mine, let's keep it real!  this is my journal!!  hahaha ), such as my current reads and recipes that have actually turned out! Never feel uncomfrontable at the thought of sharing any good tips on both accounts!... I will not hate you for it.  I will actaully like you even more.  True.

NEW Business:

This is Jar.


Jar currently has saintly status in my house.

Go back a week ago and to my other blog... and you'll understand why. But suffice it to say, Jar has come to my house in an attempt to right all the wrongs that have currently been transpiring.

Case in point... I have banned all canned goods from my house. Yes, I am this crazy ( not danger crazy mind you, those folks should not be let out of their own fantasy induced lives that cause distress & hurt on others ), but crazy enough to strike against certain said "ideologies" like the use of canned goods. Hence, jar. Jar will now soak all my beans. Beans, that I fully expect to make into excellent authentic Mexican refried beans.

No... I cannot cook. In fact I’m quite awful at it, but my youngest ( having autism ) is an incredibly picky eater and "needs" to have plain refried beans everyday ( calling it his Taco Bell )... so, I will just have to suck it up and make it happen. Today I will attempt my first batch... wish me luck kids! Lord knows I’m going to need it! LOL

I'd love to hear from you all on my current battle against the "canned foods"!! GGggrRR!!!  I'm pretty sure all tips could be good at this point!  LOL

X, h

14 comments:

  1. You can do it Heather!! Re-fried beans are SUPER easy to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. crossing my fingers Shelly!! well, besides my current injured one anyways! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually make my beans spicy like whoa, but if you're ever in a pinch for a recipe ( or if some technique needs an explanation) drop me a line. Also, a couple of girls from the guild and I are organizing some cooking lessons, maybe you'd like to come get your cook (and drink?) on :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes!! Ale!!

    can you email me the deets! i am never above learning something new from someone else! LOL

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am totally with you on the beans! However, may I put in a word for the canned tomato? They are as healthy as their fresh counterparts, and will get you through the winter until the fresh beauties arrive once again! It's the only canned veggie I would ever consider eating. Also, do you know http://msmcporkchopquilts.com ? You must! She'll have you canning in no time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. how about instead of banning cans, you invest in some of those slice resistant gloves? everytime my husband sees me rotary cutting he threatens to buy some for me. in this case, they may be a worthwhile investment, just saying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kwilt Noob... i hear it! i have already seen that problem coming around the bend... arrgGG! i was thinking i would hit some of the health food stores to see if they have a Jar of tomatoe options???...

    and Kara!!! Holy cow! i didn't even know they made those! i'll google it, THANKS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I just say how absolutely entertaining it is reading your blog??? You are hilarious and such a great writer!! You always give me cause to chuckle-a little or a lot! Thank you for that. As far as the beans go, best of luck. I always have the best of intentions when setting out to cook my beans but over half the time I end up forgetting about them and the whole house smells like burnt beans for a day or two..... AND we end up resorting to our canned beans. But I do keep trying. When I get it right, they are really good!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks Blooningpoppies! right now they are still the enemy... so it's kinda like i'm sleeping with one eye open around them... hoping that that might keep the burning at bay??? LOL

    (shrug ) we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been on the hunt for years for the perfect refried bean recipe. One thing I have learned is you need a fat (bacon grease or butter) and so much more salt then you would think. We are so used to over salted can items, they seem bland when made from scratch. I read somewhere you start out with too much and then slowly decrease it with each new batch. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks Sherry! i read that too! it took my 2 lbs of bacon grease to finally equate to a double batch of beans! this may not be the healthiest of fights to start! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cook all my beans from dried, but no canned tomatoes? I don't think I could get through the winter without san marzanos.

    ok, and where did you get jar? he is gorgeous. i hate my kitchen, at least having pretty stuff to put all my crap in would make it slightly nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i know, i know Chelsea! i'll be on a tomatoe hunt soon! trust me!!

    and i got it at Bed, Bath & Beyond for only $12.99! It's big too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use dry beans too but I don't soak them, I just stick them in the crockpot in the morning. Totally works, although I don't make refried beans with them. I make a ton of beans at once and freeze them. Love both blogs!

    ReplyDelete

how fun is this chatting thing...??? UUUummm... SUPER! ;)